Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Planting Dream Seeds


Happy March friends!

It will be some time before any real gardening happens in my neck of the frozen suburban garden patch here in New England. I'm just not the wait until spring gets here to get going sort of gal. I'm getting a head start on my DREAM container HerbGarden for Dandelion HouseGardens this year!


Here's the DREAM location now. Still thawing. Ho Hum. It's like watching paint dry. But come late spring and summer, imagine all sizes of terracotta pots brimming with fresh herbs and the occasional pot filled withred geraniums and blossoming creeping thyme cascading down the sides. There are so many good reasons to grow herbs! They're beautiful, smell wonderful and healing all at once!
 The scent of Sweet Basil and Oregano will have you conjuring up the best Italian meal Italy could serve up. Who doesn't love a fresh sprig of mint in a tall glass of iced tea on a hot summer day? Mint is the perfect container herb because it can spread and crowd out other plants in your garden.


 Since I'm a newbie at this I decided to keep it simple. I went to my local lawn and feed store to see what I could find.
The Herb Garden Seed Starter Kit fit the bill perfectly for starting my dream seeds indoors. It includes 6 packs of organic herbs and easy to follow instructions on the back.




The Garden Kit and Organic Soil together cost only $16.00. A very budget friendly project that will pay it forward all summer long.


The lawn and garden guy recommended Espoma Organiclight weight potting soil for seeds.





 Even though the Herb Garden came with seeds I couldn't resist adding some Botanical InterestSeeds to the mix.


Ever wonder who creates the beautiful drawings for seed packets? Peggy Turchette is one of many talented artists behind the lovely illustrations for Botanical Interest.


How could I resist adding Nasturtium's to the garden? They are edible, beautiful and Monet' grew them in his garden too! That's reason enough for me to have some!  I imagine them trailing out of containers and along the edges of my flower beds reaching out onto the lawn. I can hardly wait to sew some in the ground. The planting instructions  recommend not planting them indoors first as they apparently don't transplant well. Has anyone tried them indoors with a successful transplanting outdoors? I planted a few in a recycled egg carton anyway just to find out for myself !

How hard can this be?

  • Keep moist but don't over water.
  • Remove plastic cover when seeds have sprouted and place in a sunny spot inside. 
  • Transplant in containers for outdoors. Or smaller ones if you decide to keep a few herbs inside handy for cooking. 
  • Enjoy your HOME GROWN fresh ORGANIC herbs all summer long.
All together now! GROW! GROW! GROW!

For more info about Herbs and how to use them in your daily life visit Herbal Mamma's School of Domestic Arts Blog. If that gets you inspired, see if you can find a local class and sign up!

What dream seeds are you planting?

Happy Gardening!
Deborah Jean 


This post is linked to the Homestead Barn Hop #3! 

Dosado for more inspiring homesteading ideas and don't forget to leave a note on the barn door on your way out! 










11 comments:

Sharon Lovejoy said...

Good morning dear Deborah Jean,

Oh yes, it is definitely dream time. I have so many packets of seeds to plant and can't wait.

Since you're a member of the Grimy Hands Girls' Club you'll be receiving Renee's Garden basil seeds. They're the best.

Can't wait to see what you grow this year. I don't know what I would do without all my containers.

Sending love,

Sharon Lovejoy Writes from Sunflower House and a Little Green Island

Unknown said...

Hi Sharon!
Oh,I can't wait for
Renee's seeds to arrive! Thank you! The patio area where the container garden will go is new ( still in progress actually) It will be a great sitting/fire pit area and I think the containers will cozy up the space just right! I'll be keeping a close eye on your garden too!
Love,
Deb

Faith said...

Just today, with a chill in the air we went to the garden center, basil, cilantro, was added to the tomatoes,pepper,and brussel sprouts seeds...some fresh potting soil to help them grown...and soon we will plant our seeds end of month..are planting time for safety is Memorial Day...

Boho Farm and Home said...

Here in the desert we are planting our spring gardens and I too love Botanical Interests. My favorite are their organic heirloom seeds. Those are the varietals that my Grandma and great Grammy would have grown. Keep dreaming Deb...the day to plant will be here before you know it! :) xo

Bonnie K said...

Today I bought seeds for my greenhouse veggie garden. Of course I'm like you and have to wait for the snow to melt, before Kelly and I can even put up the greenhouse. Still they were on sale for 40% off! I also took a trip to my favorite greenhouse and found an orange primrose. Cool. Too bad I still have until the end of May. The only bright spot is while it was 9 degrees in Rapid it was a balmy 33 degrees at our cabin in the hills! Yea!

Good luck with your herbs. I love my mint. It is great for tea and in lemonade.

Julia said...

Love herbs! Good for you! I love growing herbs not only for using them and seeing their beauty in the garden, but I love weeding around them. Aroma therapy at its best!

I just had a friend who owns a nursery give me a big pot of mixed herbs. For now it sits on the baking table by the window, waiting patiently for warm days.

Zuzana said...

I am looking forward to follow the development of your herb garden.;) My patio is also filled with evergreens and herbs. I prefer that, as it creates a scented and tranquil spot.;)
Have a lovely day,
xoxo

Darla said...

It's just wonderful to sow seeds and watch them grow and mature. I have grown nasturtium for years from seed and they have transplanted just fine. If you don't want to risk it start them in peat pots and after you have hardened them off, just plant the entire peat pot in the larger container. I use peat pots a lot as well. Happy Gardening!

~~Rhonda said...

Isn't it fun to plant those seeds and watch and wait, and then feel the excitement of spying each little green shoot? I love growing my own basil and parsley. Can't have too much! And we always look for black swallowtail butterfly eggs on the parsley in August and bring them in to raise. Such fun! ~~Rhonda

Paula said...

Looks great! Paula from Idaho

Unknown said...

Hi! Thanks for visiting! I think I'm going to buy started herbs this year and see how my vegetables come along from seed. Happy Gardening!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...