Tuesday, June 4, 2013

Tasty Tuesday~ Using Vintage Kitchenware: Corning Ware





Welcome to Tasty Tuesday at Dandelion House! Your go- to spot for trying something new, healthy, and frugal ( with a pinch of pretty) each week in your homestead kitchen

Who remembers growing up with Corning Ware Kitchenware? My mother prepared so many wonderful meals for our family of 5 in dishes just like those pictured above. They went from oven to table and straight into the frig if there were any leftovers and right back into the oven to be reheated.

I don't know when we decided as a society that plastic rules. I know it has it's place in the storage world, but let's face it, now there are warnings about heating food in plastic containers in the microwave, they melt in the dish washer, and the lids grow legs and disappear. 
No wonder Tammy from Taylor-Made Ranch uses her vintage cookware. Besides the wondeful memories of her grandmother in conjures, it just makes good sense. 

It's not too hard to find in thrift stores, yard sales and estate sales. In fact, I passed up a set just yesterday when I went to our local Savers to pick up a piece of furniture I bought for painting. After reading Tammy's thoughts about her Corning Ware I'm considering a quick trip back to see if it's still there! 

" For the past several years I have been mindful of the type of dishes in my kitchen.  I don’t want inexpensive cheaply-made items, I want cookware that will serve me for years.  One of the highest-used items in my kitchen is my collection of Corning Ware.  These covered glass casserole dishes are safe to use in the oven or microwave, and are of course dishwasher safe and that kind of versatility works for this country girl!" Tammy Taylor 


Dip into The Farmgirl Friday Recipe Box when you're looking for an old fashioned favorite or a home- cooked meal made from scratch with love. You'll find recipes from the best homestead kitchens, inspiration for setting a beautiful table with all the charm of a farmhouse kitchen PLUS tips for stocking and organizing your pantry. 636 now following!

* All  Tasty Tuesday recipes and home decor ideas featured here have been submitted to the ORIGINAL Farmgirl Friday Blog Hop at Deborah Jean's Dandelion House. 




17 comments:

Texas Homesteader said...

Like you, I've been shunning plastic in my home. It's frustrating because there's NO way to completely eliminate it but I've reduced it about 95%. I say go back and buy that Corning Ware you saw, it'll far outlive the other options and in the long run certainly be the less expensive option.

~Taylor-Made Ranch~
Wolfe City, Texas

Melanie said...

Yes, go back and get that Corning Ware! Our mother's used it because it was versatile and sturdy. As you said, oven to table to refrigerator and back to the oven. I prefer this to plastic any day and look for it at yard sales and thrift shops. It seems that no matter what brand of plastic that you use, it wears, begins to lookk bad and must be replaced. The Corning Ware lasts. I have a piece of my Grandmother's and it is still useful and does not look bad.

~~~jennifer~~~ said...

I remember my mom cooking with a very similar set. We inherited my MIL's set after she passed. But, I never think about using them. They're on a top shelf that I can't reach easily & when I think about them I just think they're "old" & have no interest in using them. Now that you've called them vintage, though, maybe I will rethink how cool they really are.

I have almost completely gotten rid of all our plastic storage containers & replaced them with Pyrex. I love those containers. The only bummer is that the lids are plastic...

Unknown said...

Yes, I have replaced most of my plastic with new glass Pyrex for oven and microwave although a few of the smaller glass containers do have plastic lids which I'm not crazy about. I'll get there!

Unknown said...

Good for you Melanie...slowly adding new glass pieces for cooking and storage makes me feel like I have a cleaner, more functional kitchen as well. Thanks for your note!

Dogwood Lane Rambles said...

I didn't know this is considered vintage, I still use it every day so it's just my cookware most of which has been around forever. In fact, I screeched because I broke a piece just this past Saturday by dropping it. That hasn't happened in years and I really used that particular size all the time, like every day - darn. DOn't know where I'll find another.

Unknown said...

Vintage is all the rage right Jennifer? Corning Ware is Cool again! Thanks for your note!
Deb

Unknown said...

Patrica, try your local thrift shop or Savers if you have one... It's out there!

Texas Homesteader said...

You can also find pieces on Ebay, but they are also almost always found in antique shops and that purchase will also support a small business-owner.

~Taylor-Made Ranch~
Wolfe City, Texas

Unknown said...

Exactly... I'm going to add some to my booth for sure! They'll look nice on that hutch I just picked up to paint too!

Alica said...

I just bought a piece similar to these at a yard sale last week! I'm part of a food co-op, and needed some more dishes to take my meals in. Oven to table...so simple!

Kathryn D. Duke said...

I do...in fact I just recently passed mine on..

Anonymous said...

I do -but really how could they be vintage already I'm only 45... LOL
Thanks for sharing! I bet my mom is still using hers. :) -Carole

Unknown said...

Does that mean we are Vintage too? I'm 51! LOL

daisy g said...

We love our Fire King and Corning Ware containers. Yeah, I'm 52, so I'm vintage too. It's all good... ;0)

bj said...

I still use my corning ware nearly every day. :)
Will try to be back for your Friday party....:)

Faith said...

I totally missed this post....( to much clutter ) a little housekeeping, wha-la I just found this today..Oh I love this pattern and have a few pieces I have found at thrift stores, I have an on stove cofee pot, a square cake, and a covered dish. When I was little I had a set of these as dolly dishes, and when I found these at the thrift store I was overjoyed, what is old can be new again...They are just darling..

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...