Friday, July 11, 2014

Farmgirl Friday Blog Hop # 165 and Picket Fence Dreams


 Woot! Woot! It's Farmgirl Friday! How are things shaping up in your world this week?We survived the wrath of Hurricane Arther last weekend and our thoughts and prayers go out to our friends who were less fortunate during the storm.

Earlier this week, I was scanning through my Facebook news feed and caught an add for some picket fence panels being offered for a steal. Okay, a steal would have been FREE, but these were being offered for under 10 bucks per 4 x 8 panel and there were 10 of them! That's 80 feet of pickets that at regular cost would have been $250.00 ( including tax)  brand new. I was happy to pay $ 70.00 and haul them home in the back of my Explorer ( with my trusty helper, our son).

  I've been yearning for some pretty pickets to surround the raised bed garden since we put them in a few years ago for a couple of reasons. Looks, of-course! Who doesn't love pickets? No, really, who? But, also I wanted to have some protection for my cute flowers and veggies from the high winds we get here on the south coast. True, the wind will blow through the fence, but it will offer a little protection from the roots up which will help keep the flowers standing tall for cutting all season long. Reason number 2? I want to add more fruit bearing trees and shrubs in the future and now I'll have space in front of the fence for blueberry shrubs , and columnar fruit trees which are lovely in small space urban gardens( we grew them out west in our small backyard many years back)  or mid-sized backyard homesteads like ours.

Slow it goes on our little homestead but somehow the things we need ( and dream of ) have a way of turning up if we are patient! I've always pictured my pickets painted white, but the way they look slightly weathered is growing on me and just seems to fit right in to our current garden scheme. Time to schedule a fence raising party! Keep the faith! What you've been yearn'n for could be right around the corner or, in your Facebook news feed.

Be sure to stop by and see my co-hostess and farmgirl in crime Debbie Tegart of Farmgirl Unleashed Blog. She's not going backwards in her garden this year after all! It's amazing what a new perspective can do for a gardener under the gun!



Tis' the season of plenty and there is so much to celebrate! Share the bounty here! Crafting, cooking, canning, chickens, gardening, farming, etc... and just plain farmgirlin' around!

As always, we thank you for your participation in the Farmgirl Friday Blog Hop! 
 You don't have to live on a farm to join this hop!
 Farmgirl is a Condition of the Heart~ MaryJaneButters



No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...